Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Preparations for Holiday cruise!

I have completed my first semester teaching at Dine College. It has been a wonderful experience and as of Dec. 8th, I am finished until Jan 10th! Sailing time.

So what needs to happen before I cast off the lines about Dec. 14?
Main mast sheaves (the cover of my new main halyard is pulling threads out- wear is bad).
Install wheel autopilot- I bought a refurbished Autohelm 4000 to replace the one that had
been stolen from the boat before our purchase. Installation seems straightforward and
hopefully plug and play from the previous install. Calibration will wait until out in the
Gulf, but basic operation can be verified at the dock.
Clean, de-mildew, air out cabin.

Clean out engine compartment, figure out how to get my big ole body down there if I have to
repair something!
Clean engine/oil, engine pan, bilge, v-drive, transmission. Start her up!
Tighten stuffing box (too many drips).
Check out Dinghy outboard.
Load in soft goods from storage locker- mattress, cushions, clothes, etc.
Provision for 3 week cruise.
Install repaired bimini/dodger.
Apply new name to transom- Istana has been redocumented JOY!

OPTIONAL
Davits for dinghy.
Repair folding bikes. They don't look like this right now- have 2!

THE "PLAN"
Two days sail down to Tampa prior to Kathleen joining Joy.
Four days down ICW with hops off-shore to Ft. Myers, visit K's Uncle Fred and Aunt JoAnn.
Three days down to SW corner of Everglades.
Two days across to the Middle Keys.
Gunkhole the Keys for a week.
Find a place to keep the boat until summer and drive to the airport, ETD Jan 5.

Have tried to emphasize to K the need for "flexibility" in "planning." May wait to buy the tickets back until after the cruise is underway (still get advanced purchase deals).

We welcome any local knowledge, secret anchorages, etc. Post below!

1 comment:

  1. Im pate from SC. just bought a 365 sloop last april. Nothing but problems for me. Im on the pearon owners forum as "The Edge". I wanted to start a phone tree with all pearson owners so we can hook up a little more. We have island plans as well. Can you e mail me with your ph # please. Then I'll give you mine as well.

    ReplyDelete